College basketball season tipped off last night and will hit Charleston in full force next week with the 11th annual Charleston Classic. The eight team-bracketed tournament is one of the biggest sporting events in Charleston each year. This year’s event will take place on November 15, 16 & 18 at TD Arena. Here are eight reasons why you should consider attending this year’s event:
1) The field is the strongest in event history, featuring five teams who played in the NCAA Tournament back in March
Alabama, Davidson, Purdue, Virginia Tech, and Wichita State all had their dancin’ shoes on last year, with Purdue advancing to the Sweet 16. Alabama and Virginia Tech actually faced off in the first round, with Alabama coming out on top before eventually falling to future national champion Villanova in the Round of 32. A rematch is possible in Charleston as Alabama and Virginia Tech are on the same side of the bracket (top half). Davidson won the Atlantic-10 tournament before falling to Kentucky in the First Round.
2) Individual tickets start at just $24 for two games!
The tournament is consists of six sessions, each including two back-to-back games. Tickets are per session, meaning you get to see two games for one price! Single-session tickets are either $24 or $32 depending on the tier. At a capacity of just over 5,000, there isn’t a bad seat in the house at TD Arena. Visit the Charleston Classic website for more information: http://espnevents.com/charleston-classic/tickets
3) Love the NCAA Tournament? The Charleston Classic has a similar bracket-style format.
Each team will play three games over the period of four games. After Day 1 a “winners’ bracket” and “losers’ bracket” will be formed. Ultimately, a champion will be crowned around 10:30 PM on Sunday, November 18. A complete schedule/bracket can be found below and on our website here: http://espnevents.com/charleston-classic/bracket
4) Future NBA talent will be on display
- Purdue PG Carsen Edwards – One of six players in the country selected to the Associated Press Preseason All-American team. Averaged 18.5 points per game last season. Slotted at #37 in ESPN’s latest NBA mock draft.
- Davidson G Kellan Grady – Elite scorer who averaged 18 points per game as a freshman last year. Projected at #16 overall in Bleacher Report’s 2019 mock NBA Draft.
- Alabama SF Herbert Jones – Dynamic and versatile forward who held Trae Young to 6-17 shooting in the Crimson Tide’s matchup with Oklahoma last year. #17 in ESPN’s latest NBA mock draft.
- Virginia Tech G Nickeil Alexander-Walker – #23 in ESPN’s latest NBA mock draft.
- Alabama SG John Petty – Excellent shooter who comes in at #42 in ESPN’s latest NBA draft.
- Wichita State F Markis McDuffie – #48 in ESPN’s latest NBA mock draft.
5) College of Charleston fans can get an early close-up look at Northeastern, the preseason favorite in the CAA and main challenger to the Cougars
College of Charleston defeated Northeastern in a memorable overtime game to take home the 2018 CAA tournament championship and earn their first NCAA Tournament berth since 1999. The Huskies return most of their contributors from last year, including preseason CAA Player of the Year Vasa Pusica. The Charleston Classic will offer a great opportunity to see Northeastern before they come back to TD Arena on February 16 to meet the Cougars.
6) Ticket discounts are available
Discounts are available for military, students, and groups!
- Military and students – $11 per session
- Must be purchased in person at TD Arena box office
7) There are plenty of opportunities to attend
- Need a break from work or want to spend some time with co-workers outside the office? Come Thursday or Friday afternoon! The marching bands from Cross and Timberland high schools will be present to entertain the crowd.
- Need a fun activity to kick off your weekend? Come Friday evening! The second consolation begins at 4:30 followed by the second semifinal at 6:30.
- Have kids in school and don’t want to stay out too late on Sunday? Sunday afternoon is best!
- Want to see the best teams in the tournament square off? Come to the championship session on Sunday night!
- The tournament takes off on Saturday so you won’t miss any of the college football action.
8) VIP Hospitality is being offered for the first time
Want to come in style? VIP Hospitality is available through PRIMESPORT. The package includes a fully catered meal from a local Charleston restaurant as well as unlimited snacks, soda, beer, and wine. Both domestic and local craft beer options will be offered. Learn more and purchase here: https://www.primesport.com/d/charleston-classic-tickets
Who: Alabama, App State, Ball State, Davidson, Northeastern, #24 Purdue, #15 Virginia Tech, Wichita State (and you)
What: Bracket-style college basketball tournament (Purchase tickets)
When: November 15, 16 & 18
Where: TD Arena | Downtown Charleston
Why: The Charleston Classic is one of the largest annual sporting events to come to this great city and this year hosts its best field in history. All 12 games are broadcast on ESPN networks so let’s pack out TD Arena to watch some quality college basketball.
Bonus – come see us at Second Sunday on King Street this Sunday for a chance to win free tickets!
Ten pairs of tickets will be given out on Sunday – six to those who have the highest pop-a-shot scores and four by random draw. In addition, fans will have an opportunity to take a photo with the championship trophy. Come out and see us near the Anthropologie located at 260 King Street!