Charleston County Coroner Rae Wooten released the names of the nine people who died in Wednesday night’s shooting at Emanuel AME Church, a historic African-American congregation in the heart of downtown Charleston.
The victims are:
• Cynthia Hurd, 54, a branch manager at St. Andrews Regional Library
• Susie Jackson, 87
• Ethel Lance, 70
• Rev. DePayne Middleton-Doctor, 49
• Rev. Clementa Pinckney, 41, a state senator and pastor at Emanuel AME
• Tywanza Sanders, 26
• Rev. Daniel Simmons Sr., 74, who died after being transported to MUSC. A church member says Simmons previously served as pastor at Friendship AME Church in Mt. Pleasant.
• Rev. Sharonda Singleton, 45
• Myra Thompson, 59
Wooten says her office will conduct autopsies on all of the victims, although she says she does not expect to find “new information” in the process.
As Wooten was holding the press conference in a county building at 4045 Bridge View Drive in North Charleston, a bomb threat was issued against the county building, according to a county spokesperson. County employees have been evacuated from the building.
UPDATE, 4:45 p.m.: A county spokesperson said the bomb threat has been cleared at the county building.