The hurricane threat has become real for Charleston–the Coburg cow has come down. If the sight of the empty pedestal has inspired frenzied preparations, it’s easy to forget an essential. Even if you’re checking things off your or FEMA’s list, we’ve compiled a list of easily forgettable things to pack or do before you go.
- Drinks (non-alcoholic) for your evacuation trip
- A radio
- Manual can opener
- Wine and bottle opener. Nothing ruins a hurricane party faster than not being able to enjoy any of the libations while you’re confined.
- Bring pillows, blankets, a sleeping bag, or something else to sleep on. Many shelters may have limited quantities of these items, so it’s better to bring yours.
- Toilet paper
- Chargers. A charger for everything. A charger for your chargers.
- USB wall plugs
- Cash and checkbook
- Toiletries (don’t forget a razor!)
- 3-7 days worth of clothes
- A flashlight (besides your phone)
- All of your important documents
Before you go:
- Make sure to secure anything outside of your house. Don’t forget your trash cans, decorations, or loose plants. Bring inside or tie down anything you can.
- Document anything you’re leaving behind
- Cover outdoor electrical outlets with duct tape
- Throw away or bring anything perishable
- Turn your refrigerator to the coldest setting
- Move anything that could be potentially damaged away from windows.