Get ready for seven weeks of seasonal salads at Basic Kitchen, located downtown at 82 Wentworth St. After kicking off Monday, the second annual “BK Salad Project” invites seven local “tastemakers,” including Jackrabbit Filly executive chef Shuai Wang and TV chef/Lenoir owner Vivian Howard, to create a salad with BK chef Charlie Layton to be featured on the menu for one week.
According to a press release, the seven-week campaign (Aug. 2-Sept. 19) is “inspired by Charleston’s abundant summer harvest,” and all proceeds will benefit The Green Heart Project. This week, Wang will serve a cantaloupe salad with shaved shishitos, pistachios, whipped feta and shiso. Check out the full list below, and stay tuned for the ticket release for a Sept. 23 event celebrating the fundraiser.
- Week of Aug. 2 – Shuai Wang, executive chef at Jackrabbit Filly
- Week of Aug. 9 – Maggie Young, trainer at Ethos Athletic Club
- Week of Aug. 16 – Thomas Berolzheimer, founder of Garden Tom
- Week of Aug. 23 – Molly Fienning, CEO of Red Clay Hot Sauce
- Week of Aug. 30 – Vivian Howard, TV host, author, chef, restaurateur of Lenoir, Handy & Hot, and Chef & the Farmer
- Week of September 6 – Jessica Murnane, author of Know Your Endo and One Part Plant
- Week of September 13 – Brooks Reitz, restaurateur of Leon’s Oyster Shop, Melfi’s, Little Jack’s Tavern, Monza Pizza Bar and founder of Jack Rudy Cocktail Co.