Coronavirus numbers. A new record-high 770 cases of COVID-19 were announced by the state Department of Health and Environmental control, bringing the total to 17,170. DHEC also announced 5 additional deaths, bringing the state total to 593. Charleston County totaled 54 of the new coronavirus cases and one death.
[content-1] Centers for Disease Control breaks three-month silence to say … ? In their first news conference since March, CDC officials released a guide to "Deciding to Go Out", which emphasizes the virus is still out there and recommends hand washing and wearing masks.
What we're reading:
– Washington Post – Know the Signs: How to tell if your grandparent has become an antifa agent
– The Atlantic – America Is Already Different Than It Was Two Weeks Ago
– The Daily Beast – Is South Carolina Already on a Second Wave of COVID-19?
– The Atlantic – The Virus Will Win
– The Verge – Bikes can be a tool for protest — and police brutality
– Rolling Stone – Sorry, Olivia Benson is cancelled too
The latest from the Charleston City Paper:
– Fletcher Williams III presents new work in 'Promiseland' at the Aiken-Rhett House
– Folly Beach County Park opens new Dunes House with viewing deck, concessions and more
– In new set, Dave Chappelle touches on his SC namesake and the state's place in historic racism
– Safe Sounds cancels debut Runaway Gin show due to severe weather
– The Charleston Forum holding annual event online against backdrop of nationwide protests