[image-1] Coronavirus updates: The South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control announced 331 new cases of the coronavirus on Friday, bringing the statewide total to 11,131. The state's death toll is 483, with 13 additional deaths announced Friday.
Officer in George Floyd death arrested. Minnesota authorities say that the police officer that killed George Floyd, Derek Chauvin, has been arrested and charged with manslaughter and third-degree murder. Protests against police brutality have broken out in Minneapolis and across the country, demanding Chauvin's arrest. Chauvin was previously involved with three other police shooting and 10 complaints were lodged against him. Source: AP/ Insider
What we're reading
– The Atlantic – 'So, What Can We Do Now?'
– The New Yorker – 'The Death of George Floyd, in Context'
– Vox – 'I will not reopen our church for Trump. I love our congregants too much to risk their lives.'
– The Verge – 'Here's what to expect as SpaceX launches its first human crew to space'
The latest from the City Paper
– Sunday: Watch Charleston chef Vinson Petrillo on 'Beat Bobby Flay'
– Little Stranger web series highlights duo's performances and weirdo humor
– Some South Carolina leaders are taking another look at medical stockpiles
– Baby Yaga highlights feminine energy and '90s angst on debut EP
– A new online exhibition from the Meyer Vogl Gallery focuses on artists during lockdown