Damn it’s hot out. We’re sweating like Joe Riley at last call. What we need is something cool and citrusy with just a bit of a kick. Thankfully Craig Nelson of Proof has us covered. For the inaugural edition of our new feature Drinks in a Gif, Nelson’s got a recipe for liquid salvation, his Proof Gin & Tonic.
“This is our biggest seller,” says Nelson. In fact, the tiny bar on King sells more Hendrick’s gin, thanks to the PGT, than any other account in the state. To make one you’re gonna need:
- 1 lemon
- 1 orange
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- Hendrick’s gin
- Bitter Truth lemon bitters
- 2 cucumber slice
- Peel your lemon and orange.
- Express the oil from both the lemon and orange around the rim of a collins glass.
- In a shaker pour in 1 1/2 ounce Hendrick’s
- Add to shaker the lemon juice.
- Drop in two drops of Bitter Truth lemon bitters.
- Add cucumber slice.
- Fill shaker three-fourths of the way with ice.
- Shake. Note: Nelson says a wise bartender once told him, “Shake a drink like you’re waking up a baby, not like your rocking a baby to sleep. Wake the baby up.”
- Double strain the drink into a collins glass.
- Fill collins glass with ice.
- Fill collins glass to the top with tonic (Schweppes or Canada Dry are perfect).
- Garnish with cucumber.
- Drink. Ahhh, refreshing.