Holy Smokes BBQ has announced the pitmaster lineup for the November festival at The Bend in North Charleston. Organized by Aaron Siegel and Taylor Garrigan of Home Team BBQ, Anthony DiBernardo of Swig & Swine and food writer Robert Moss, the event will bring the country’s top pitmasters to the Lowcountry for an all-you-can-eat shindig celebrating the various types and styles of barbecue.
“The idea is that we have such a great barbecue community here in Charleston now, and we all wanted to have a chance to both highlight Charleston and have the pitmasters everyone knows and respects down here to the Lowcountry,” said Moss, a longtime City Paper contributor. “It’s a really impressive lineup — we truly tried to go across the country and invite some of the most respected pitmasters out there.”
Tickets for the festival go on sale in August and will grant attendees access to barbecue from all participating pitmasters. The Bend will be split into three “villages,” each of which celebrate a different century of American barbecue styles, Moss said.
The 19th century village will feature whole hog pork, the 20th century village will celebrate Texas-style barbecue and the 21st century section will give pitmasters the chance to get creative with smoked meats.
Pitmasters from the following restaurants will be represented at Holy Smokes, which will benefit Hogs for a Cause:
- Michael Bessinger, Bessinger’s BBQ — South Carolina
- Chris Lilly, Big Bob Gibson BBQ — Alabama
- Ronnie Evans and Philip Moseley, Blue Oak BBQ — Louisiana
- Elliott Moss and Meherwan Irani, Buxton Hall — North Carolina
- Patrick Feges and Erin Smith, Feges BBQ — Texas
- Jonathan and Justin Fox, Fox Bros — Georgia
- Tank Jackson, Holy City Hogs — South Carolina
- Aaron Siegel and Taylor Garrigan, Home Team BBQ — South Carolina
- Billy Durney, Hometown BBQ — New York
- Cody Sperry, HooDoo Brown — Connecticut
- Evan Leroy, Leroy and Lewis BBQ — Texas
- Matt Horn, Horn Barbecue — Texas
- John Lewis, Lewis BBQ — South Carolina
- Madison Ruckel, Mama Jean’s — Virginia
- Pat Martin, Martin’s Bar-B-Que — Tennessee
- Carey Bringle, Peg Leg Porker — Tennessee
- Rodney Scott, Rodney Scott’s BBQ — South Carolina
- Sam Jones, Sam Jones BBQ — North Carolina
- Harrison Sapp, Southern Soul — Georgia
- Anthony DiBernardo, Swig & Swine — South Carolina
- Leo Botello, Truth BBQ — Texas
For more information, visit holysmokeschs.com.