[image-1] It’s Election Day. The polls are open across the state until 7 p.m. The election could stand to be a major turning point for politics across the country, as is many times the case in midterm elections in a president’s first term. [content-1] In S.C., the one race that could play a part in that ‘change’ narrative is the 1st Congressional District, where Democrat Joe Cunningham is making a serious challenge to flip SC-1 blue. Of course, Republican state Rep. Katie Arrington is hoping to defend the seat after knocking off Rep. Mark Sanford in the primary over the summer.
As you head to the polls today, here’s a quick wrap of everything we’ve posted this week to make the process of sorting through candidates a little simpler:
• Our 2018 election guide, which we’ll be updating all day
• What you need to know when you head to the polls
• Our profiles and endorsements for statewide races including governor
• Our profiles and endorsements for Charleston-area congressional races, including SC-1
• Our profiles and endorsements for state House races
• Our profiles and endorsements for local school board races
• And here’s a cheat sheet of all the endorsements in one place
• Locally, CARTA and local rickshaw companies are offering free rides to try to turn people out. Uber and Lyft are also running specials.
• You’ll also be voting for one constitutional amendment that would make the state superintendent an appointed position rather than popularly elected. Here’s the deal with that question.
• And after you vote, a ton of local restaurants, bars, and businesses are offering promos if you bring in your ‘I Voted’ sticker.