[image-1]Two Boroughs Larder’s doors have only been closed for a little over a month and already owner and chef Josh Keeler has found a new kitchen. Beginning Mon. Sept. 19, Keeler will start at 492 replacing Chef Nate Whiting.
In an email, Relish Group owner CEO Mark Hendley says, “We are immensely grateful for all of the hard work that Chef Whiting has done for 492 and The Relish Group, and we wish him the best in his future endeavors.”
Whiting had been with the Relish Group since his time at Tristan where he served as the executive chef from 2010-14. After Tristan closed, Whiting was instrumental in the dramatic construction of 492 built in the decaying 1800s Leon’s Men’s clothing store. In a 2014 interview, Whiting explained how the look of 492 was designed as an effort to shift to a come-as-you-are environment — a departure from his former style at Tristan.
But while the space wowed diners, the menu left some wanting. Former City Paper restaurant critic Eric Doksa took issue with 492’s meticulous, albeit tiny, plates.
“I was truly excited to hear that 492 has no dish over $17, but after sharing eight or more plates with one other person and leaving the restaurant hungry after each and every visit, I realized price is not everything. In theory, small plates allow diners the opportunity to share and explore a variety of dishes, but one stellar full-sized entrée will always trump a table full of bank breaking mediocrity in my book,” Doksa wrote.
Under James Beard-nominated Keeler’s watch, 492 will receive a new menu. “I’m thrilled to be coming into this gorgeous restaurant and having the opportunity to focus on my true passion, cooking,” says Keeler.