[image-1]If the suggestive vegetable on the promotional material is any indication, there is good reason to be excited about the upcoming West Ashley Farmers Market.
Not to be left out of the local farmers market boom that has spread throughout the Lowcountry, West Ashley is finally getting its own weekly bazaar starting Sept. 14. Running every Wednesday from 3:30-7:30 p.m. until the end of October, the West Ashley Farmers Market looks to expand upon the success of its downtown predecessor by bringing fresh, local goods to Ackerman Park at 55 Sycamore Avenue.
“Our hope is that the West Ashley Farmers Market will be a catalyst in the revitalization of the area,” said Mayor John Tecklenburg in a statement released by the city. “The evening market hours will offer our community members the opportunity to visit the market on their way home from work, to do their grocery shopping, and grab dinner with friends, family, and neighbors.”
Produced by Charleston’s Office of Cultural Affairs in cooperation with the Parks Department, the city is currently accepting applications for growers and vendors for the seasonal market. According to the rules and regulations listed on the application, at least 75 percent of all produce offered by farmers must be grown on their own land, while the remaining 25 percent may be previously purchased and resold if Certified SC Grown. Plans for the market also include regular live entertainment and family-friendly activities.
All those hoping to apply can do so by calling the Office of Cultural Affairs at (843) or visiting charlestonfarmersmarket.com/westashley. Vendor applications are due by Aug. 8 at 4 p.m.