So where do you belong? Leaving the nest doesn’t have to mean abandoning all sense of the familiar. Remember those “cub is to bear as x is to cat” segments of the SAT? We’ve made up some homegrown analogies below, so fill them in to find out which Holy City hotspot matches your cherished haunt back home.
1. You savor bang for your buck along your town’s main drag. Drinks, dancing, late-night eats — you could catch every piece of the
going-out experience without ever getting back into your car.
The strip : hometown :: _____________ : Charleston
B. The Washout
C. Upper King
D. South Windermere
2. You divide your year based on events such as the Fall Classic and Masters. Your letter jacket has grown too heavy to wear, so now it hangs — custom framed, of course — in the living room. Where do you go for your sports fix now?
Local sports complex : hometown :: _________ : Charleston
A. The Mitch
B. The Joe
C. The Bob
D. Mt. Pleasant
3. The mall is so unoriginal, as are chain restaurants. You prefer an authentic experience, be it shopping for slightly used Converse or dining at local favorites.
Row of vintage shops : hometown :: _________ : Charleston
A. Citadel Mall
C. Fleet Landing
D. Mad River
4. You aren’t interested in any place too posh for your best friend, Fido, and are restless unless you’re soaking up the Carolina sunshine.
Doggie trail : hometown :: _____________ : Charleston
A. Isle of Palms
B. Charleston Grill
C. The Post and Courier office
D. James Island County Park
5. Live music tempts you more than any cocktail, and whether it’s that no-name rock group or classics like Robert Earl Keen, you’re down to listen.
Small local venue : hometown :: _________ Charleston
A. Loose Lucy’s
C. The Music Farm
D. City Hall
6. Sitting among locals, grabbing some grub, and throwing a game of darts satisfies your urge to socialize every time.
Neighborhood bar : hometown :: __________ : Charleston
A. Hyman’s Seafood
B. Marion Square
C. Peninsula Grill
D. Kickin’ Chicken
7. Shopping in your suburb was high-class stuff, with brick mega-plexes and enough brand-name stores to fill your day and max out your VISA.
Posh outdoor mall : hometown :: __________ : Charleston
A. Towne Centre
B. King Street
C. Folly Pier
D. Fort Moultrie
8. You crave that post-concert ear buzzing and will rock out to guitar riffs no matter what night of the week it is.
Your fave hole-in-the-wall bar : hometown :: ______ : Charleston
A. The Pita Pit
C. Hank’s Seafood
9. You (and 4,000 other people) want to see Tom Petty, Ryan Adams, Steely Dan, or another rock act in a mid-sized venue after catching a hockey game and attending a national conference of Magic: The Gathering players. Where in the Lowcountry can you catch all these: sports, conferences/fairs, touring Broadway shows, and live music/comedy?
Mid-sized convention center : hometown :: ________ : Charleston
A. North Charleston Coliseum and Performing Arts Center
B. Family Circle Cup Stadium
C. Lakewood Amphitheater
D. Your mom’s backyard
10. If you can get wet and wear flip-flops, count you in. You want to chill where you can see the waves and take a dip anytime.
Groovy park : hometown :: ___________ : Charleston
A. The Market Street Pavilion
B. Ashley Lanes bowling alley
C. Folly Pier
D. The Woodlands