1. While they’ve been heralded as a favorite Carolina ———— band for years, The Blue Dogs actually got their start while attending college in ————.
A. punk … Georgia
B. alternative … Vermont
C. roots/rock …Virginia
D. stoner … the Netherlands
2. Through the late ’90s and early 2000s, Jump (a.k.a. ———— ) were considered one of Charleston’s most original rock bands. But they actually originated in the college town of ———— before relocating to Charleston.
A. Junk … Athens, Ga.
B. Polaris … Charlottesville, Vir.
C. Jump, Little Children … Winston-Salem, N.C.
D. The Trampolines … Chapel Hill, N.C.
3. ———— is the only member of S.C. hit makers Hootie & The Blowfish who grew
up in ————.
A. Lee Greenwood … Eutawville
B. Mark Bryan … Greenville
C. Edwin McCain … Spartanburg
D. Darius Rucker … Charleston
4. Monopolistic media conglomerate ———— owns five local radio stations, including The Drive 100.5, Y-102.5 FM, ————, Q-104.5 FM, and WSC Talk 730 AM.
A. Viacom … 96.1 FM WAVF 96 Wave
B. Clear Channel … WEZL 103.5 FM
C. Southern Broadcasting … Cat Country
107.5 FM WNKT
D. Clear Channel … 98.1 FM WYBB 98X
5. Local alternative rock quartet The Working Title released their major label debut, ————, this summer on the ———— label.
A. Can’t Fight This Feelin’
B. Around Town … Vagrant
C. About Face … Universal/Motown
D. I’ve Seen Everything … Matador
6. The Explorers Club, one of the busiest ———— bands in town, is mostly comprised of
former members of ————, a longtime Charleston act.
A. punk rock … quench
B. bluegrass … The Blue Dogs
C. emo … The Killer Whales
D. pop/rock … Nineteen Eighty-Four
7. Johnny Puke, considered to be a champion of ————, is an ardent supporter of the local music scene and a decent-minded booking agent for local club ———.
A. the sport of boxing … Trayce’s First String
B. Santa Claus … the Windjammer
C. classic punk rock … Cumberland’s
D. Southern rock … the Pour House
8. When he’s not working the floor at Precision Music in ————, locals can regularly
catch skilled rock guitarist Bryn Wilson playing solos and riffs with popular Charleston bar band ————.
A. Summerville … Smokehouse
B. Mt. Pleasant … the Hed Shop Boys
C. Folly Beach … Two3Ways
D. North Charleston … Plane Jane
9. Charleston-based vocalist ———— competed on TV’s American Idol, toured with popular singer ————, and recently co-headlined such recent local musical cabarets as That ’60s Soul Show and That ’70s Soul Show.
A. Quiana Parler … Clay Aiken
B. Darius Rucker … Zamfir
C. Cary Ann Hearst … Geraldo
D. Ann Caldwell … Darius Rucker
10. Local radio personality Kain Cameron (of Y-102.5) regularly performs as blues rocker ———— alongside other local and visiting artists during the annual Piccolo Spoleto music event ———— (now in its 10th year).
A. Roy Orbison … That ’50s Show
B. Debbie Harry … The New Wave Follies
C. Elvis Presley … Burning Love
D. Janis Joplin … Rock ’n’ Roll Heaven
11. Led by guitarist ————, the technically proficient cover band Plane Jane performs shows at on different nights all three ———— locations in Charleston every week.
A. Rik Cribb … Kickin’ Chicken
B. Chris Sain … Wild Wing Café
C. Jeannie Wiggins … Crab Shack
D. James Brown … T-Bonz
12. This hard-hitting, local ———— band renamed themselves after their most recent studio album, from “quench” to the new moniker ————.
A. indie-pop … Explorers Club
B. Christian metal … Bloodfang
C. fusion/funk … Metropolis
D. modern rock … Number One Contender
13. Songwriter and ———— Michael Flynn enjoyed great success this year performing and recording with his group under the new band name of ————.
A. guitarist … The Films
B. pianist … Slow Runner
D. studio producer … The Music Farmers
D. County Council member … Pop ’N’ The Pills
14. Singer Rhonda Wall used to front her own blues and boogie combo, ————, on a weekly basis at the upstairs venue ———— on King Street.
A. Rhonda & The Rodents … the Upper Deck
B. Weird Science … Mellow Mushroom
C. The Accelerators … Cumberland’s
D. Momma’s Blues Palace Revue … the Living Room
15. Before kicking up some dust as the bandleader of local blues/rock band The BootyRanch, guitarist ———— used to play the local clubs in longtime Charleston act ————.
A. Jody Porter … Astrojet
B. Dr. Rev. Johnny Mac … The Jumper Cables
C. Robert Hutto … The More, The More
D. Ornette Coleman … The Hollywood Squares