Yesterday, around 4:20 p.m., fire fighters were called to Prohibition restaurant (547 King St.) when smoke was reported. We got in touch with John Teevan, owner of the Roaring ’20s-themed restaurant, and he tells us it seems it was not an electrical fire, but allegedly the work of a smoker.
“It seems somebody had stuck a cigarette or cigar in the little area in the storefront in the wood,” says Teevan. “It smoldered and caught on fire.”
Due to the deluge yesterday, Teevan believes a smoker was sheltering from the storm under Prohibition’s eaves and shoved the butt in the wood of the outside wall before taking off. Luckily the damage was minimal. “And the good thing is nobody got hurt,” Teevan adds. Prohibition is closed on Mondays, so there were no staffers involved.
But the best news is Prohibition will reopen tomorrow at 4 p.m. “We’re still in business,” Teevan says. “And we’ve had a team working around the clock.” The restaurant is also now open for lunch starting Thursday and will continue to be open for brunch on Sat. and Sun.
As for Teevan’s thoughts on the firebug, he says. “Just throw your butts somewhere else.”
Do we need to get a city-slicker Smokey the Bear out here to make it clear? Smokers hiding from the rain, be smart: only you can prevent business-crippling restaurant fires.