June is gay pride month, though it would be hard to tell around these parts, with most of the local pride events LATE in the summer. But if you’ve got a hankering to get out of town, here’s some of June’s pride options:
• RIGHT NOW: Gay Days Orlando — Oh, the poor hetero that picks this of all the weekends to visit Orlando. Tomorrow, gays and lesbians will be all over the Magic Kingdom. Felt uncomfortable about waiting in line with the kids for that picture with Tinkerbell, boys? This is your weekend! The fun continues tomorrow night with Kathy Griffin and Donna Summer headlining at Disney MGM and Kimberly Locke and Bananarama at Parliament House. Debroah Cox will be at Parliament on Sunday. And you thought Spoleto was gay.
• June 18-24: Columbia Black Pride — Town hall meetings, lectures, banquets, musical theatre, expo, and worship service.
• June 22-24: Atlanta Pride — Lots of stuff to do, including a mass commitment ceremony, Lambda car show, gay youth prom, and an AIDS quilt display. Performers include Deborah Gibson and Antigone Rising, and there’ll be a movie night Friday with Leslie Jordan (Will & Grace’s “Berverly Leslie”) and Lady Chablis attending screenings of Sordid Lives and Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.
• June 17-24: NY Pride Week — There is too much stuff to list here, but we’ll list a few. There’s a gay regatta, AIDS candlelight vigil, the pier dance, and more unofficial festivities than you can shake a stir stick at.
• June 23-24: Stonewall Street Festival — Ft. Lauderdale’s pride festivities, including a comedy night June 23 with Ant from “Celebrity Fit Club.”
• June 28 to July 1: SC Pride Film Festival — At Columbia’s Nickelodeon, including Wild Tigers I Have Known, The Favor, Camp Out, and I Wanna Be a Republican.
Things to look forward to: Charlotte Pride (Aug. 24), Savannah Pride (Sept. 15), South Carolina Pride (Sept. 22-24), North Carolina Pride (Sept. 29)