Yeah, St. Patrick’s Day isn’t until Tuesday, but there are plenty of events going on this weekend for anyone looking to get an early start — or for those not too keen on getting shwasted on a weeknight. Earlier this week we posted a long list of St. Patrick’s Day parties around Charleston — here’s an updated list of Saturday’s events, starting with our favorites.
St. Paddy’s Day Block Party — This North Charleston block party features live music from Joyride, trivia, giveaways, jump castles, a mechanical bull, and a parade. Should be great for families as well as those looking to celebrate with a big crowd. 1-7 p.m.
Folly Beach Pub Crawl and Irish Fair — We had a lot of fun at this event last year, which features drink specials and general revelry at the bars along Center Street. Green jello shots, green beer, and Irish food galore, plus bagpipers, a dunk tank, prizes, and more. 12-6 p.m.
St. Pat’s Block Party on I’On Square — Another block party, for the Mt. Pleasant set. Celebrate inside, outside, and streetside at beautiful I’On. Featuring live music with Funhouse, $2 beer, and traditional food. 3-7 p.m.
Walter McDonough at Dunleavy’s Pub — Dunleavy’s Pub out on Sullivan’s Island is one of the most Irish places around Charleston, and it’s party central on St. Patty’s Day. Irish singer-songwriter/guitarist Walter McDonough will be playing melodic folk and Irish tunes during the afternoon and evening block party.
And here are a few other events:
- Mad River St. Practice Day — Featuring kegs and eggs and $2 green beer from 9-11 a.m. Later on, live music from Two 3 Ways. 9 a.m.
- Daniel Island Grille – Celebrating two days with a party on the patio, entertainment, drink specials, and Irish food specials.
- Gilligan’s — Celebrate St. Pat’s with drink specials and traditional Irish food.
- Market Street Saloon — The Saturday before St. Patty’s Day Market Street Saloon is having drink specials and a free shamrock shot with purchase. Officially on St. Patty’s Day they’ll offer drink specials.
- Wild Wing Cafe — Wild Wing Cafe in Mt. Pleasant is having Irish drink specials on March 14 along with four bands playing all day and then more drink specials at all locations on St. Patrick’s Day.
- Johnson’s Pub and Pizzeria — 3rd Stone, The Corned Beef & Cabbage Trio, Max’s Dangerous Leprechauns, Lucky Larry. Gainesville-based sextet 3rd Stone handles soulful, funky guitar-driven blues-rock and a funky mix of Hendrix-meets-Sly styles (and 12-year-old Anthony Kavouklis on guitar); the first of two St. Patrick’s Day parties here, 2 p.m. ’til late.
- Tommy Condon’s — Steve Carroll & The Bograts. Irish tunes and popular tavern songs.
Stay cool. Support City Paper.
City Paper has been bringing the best news, food, arts, music and event coverage to the Holy City since 1997. Support our continued efforts to highlight the best of Charleston with a one-time donation or become a member of the City Paper Club.