If you’re out at Folly Beach on a hot day and you’ve got a hankerin’ for a marg, someone will likely send you to Rita’s Seaside Grill. Inside Rita’s you’ll find Robert Tucker tending the bar, ready to make you one of his specialties for hot summer afternoons: watermelon margaritas.
The key, Robert says, is insisting on fresh ingredients whether you’re whipping together your own cocktail or asking for one at your favorite watering hole. The guys at Rita’s went through almost 100 watermelon margaritas during a single shift around Memorial Day, so you know these things gotta be good.
In today’s Drinks in a GIF, we asked Rita’s to show us how they craft their crowd-favorite watermelon marg, here’s how it goes:
- Half a lime
- A few chunks of watermelon
- Half-ounce simple syrup
- Milagro silver tequila
- Orange liqueur like Grand Marnier or Cointreau
1. Muddle the lime and watermelon together in your shaker
2. Add simple syrup
2. Add generous shot of tequila and a little less liqueur
3. Fill shaker with ice and shake to mix
4. Strain finished margarita into salt-rimmed glass, garnish with another watermelon slice if you’re feeling fancy
5. You know.
Stay cool. Support City Paper.
City Paper has been bringing the best news, food, arts, music and event coverage to the Holy City since 1997. Support our continued efforts to highlight the best of Charleston with a one-time donation or become a member of the City Paper Club.