COVID-19 updates: South Carolina health officials reported 524 new cases of the coronavirus on Thursday, with 7 additional confirmed deaths.
With 2,922 tests on Wednesday, 17.9% came back positive.
As of 1:38 p.m. Nov. 5, via S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control:
Confirmed cases in S.C.: 172,216 (+524)
Positive tests in Charleston County (total): 17,072 (+34)
Negative tests in S.C.: 1,823,984
Deaths in S.C. from COVID-19: 3,736 (+7)
Be positive you’re negative. SCDHEC is urging South Carolinians in the community to get tested regularly and “be positive you’re negative.” They stress the importance of getting tested before the holiday season. Testing options have expanded to include shallow nasal testing, oral swab, and spit test at different locations.
Charleston Ocean Racing Association changing logo. The Charleston Ocean Racing Association voted to change its flag, which resembled the confederate flag, after Sperry said it would take the move into account when assessing its sponsorship of the 2021 Charleston Race Week. Source: P&C
What we’re reading:
– The Verge: iOS 14.2 is here, and it has over 100 new emoji
– The Atlantic: The Happiness Effects of Losing an Election
– The New Yorker: The Fight Over Election Results Begins
– Buzzfeed: Despite Demonstrations In Some Cities, There Was No Widespread Election Unrest
Latest from City Paper:
– Charleston’s Tiny Tassel featured in Facebook’s #BuyBlack gift guide
– City Gallery now open with Jonathan Green exhibit on Robert Smalls
– YALLWrite gets to the nitty-gritty behind the creative process
Stay cool. Support City Paper.
City Paper has been bringing the best news, food, arts, music and event coverage to the Holy City since 1997. Support our continued efforts to highlight the best of Charleston with a one-time donation or become a member of the City Paper Club.