1. Carolina Ice Palace. Imagine a place where it’s always a cool 57 degrees. That’s the Ice Palace in North Charleston. They have slamming summer specials too where you can skate for $6.
2. AMF Charleston Lanes. Bowling is fun, especially when it’s free. At this West Ashley alley, kids can bowl two free games every weekday. Register at kidsbowlfree.com
3. Hot Wheels. This Folly Road skating center has seen better days, but it’s still the best option for roller skating. And now that Jack’s Cosmic Dogs has moved in next door, you can make a day of it and enjoy a soft serve ice cream after you skate.
4. Party Kingdom. When it’s just too hot outside, head to this indoor playground and game center on James Island. Let the kids loose while you get some sushi or pho from the Asian restaurant in front. Or just get a beer and relax as the kids tear it up.
5. Children’s Museum. The hands-on interactive exhibits at this downtown attraction never get old for the little ones.
6. S.C. Aquarium. A new 4-D Theater Experience and an albino alligator make the Aquarium a must-visit this summer. Play the gator game and try to find the 50 stickers around town and win prizes.
7. Fisher-Price Movie Series at the Terrace. Every Wednesday at 11 a.m., the Terrace Theater will show a family classic. The kids can get in for free (parents are $4). The Wizard of Oz kicks off the series on June 30. Visit terracetheater.com for a schedule.
Stay cool. Support City Paper.
City Paper has been bringing the best news, food, arts, music and event coverage to the Holy City since 1997. Support our continued efforts to highlight the best of Charleston with a one-time donation or become a member of the City Paper Club.