Rodney Scott of Scott’s BBQ in Hemingway says a pig caught fire this morning in the pit room and the fire spread up the wall and took out the roof. 

Fortunately, the flames did not reach the restaurant next door, but it did take out the 15 hogs he was cooking for this week’s demand.

“We have portable pits out back and still had four hogs,” he says. “I have the pigs that I need to cook tonight and tomorrow night. We’re still open and in motion, but there’s just not enough meat.”

The clean-up effort has already begun and Scott hopes to have the pit room rebuilt in two weeks. In the meantime, he says he’s just rolling with the punches and doing the best he can. 

“That’s what happens when you cook with fire,” he says.

Indeed. He texted us a picture of the devastation below. 

Love Best of Charleston?

Help the Charleston City Paper keep Best of Charleston going every year with a donation. Or sign up to become a member of the Charleston City Paper club.