Are you or your business doing helping those affected by the Madra fire? Let us know, email, and we’ll help get the word out.

Early Saturday morning, the North Charleston Fire Department was dispatched to Park Circle Irish pub Madra Rua, responding to a call about a fire. By 9 a.m. Saturday, fire crews were still on the scene, and damage could be seen inside the building, as well as on the exterior and sidewalk.

Within 24 hours of the fire, a GoFundMe was started to help raise money for the staff of Madra. The page has already raised more than $16,500 in under 48 hours. Kay Hyman, a local resident you may be familiar with from her work with Charleston Animal Society, created the page, and is posting regular updates. The latest update says “money raised will go directly to the team who worked at Madra who are now displaced and facing financial difficulties!”

There were no injuries reported from the fire, and there is no word yet on when the pub will be able to reopen. Madra Rua posted to Facebook Saturday: “As most of you know earlier this morning your favorite Irish Pub in Park Circle caught on fire. We will be closed until further notice. We are most thankful that no one was injured or in the building. We appreciate all the love and support we have been receiving from our customers, family and friends. We would like to thank North Charleston Fire Department for all of their support and hard work.”

Check back here for updates on other fundraising efforts taking place to help the Madra staff.


Love Best of Charleston?

Help the Charleston City Paper keep Best of Charleston going every year with a donation. Or sign up to become a member of the Charleston City Paper club.