Photo by the National Cancer Institute on Unsplash

City announces 99.7% Compliance with COVID-19 vaccination policy

Following yesterday’s deadline for compliance with the city’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, 90% of city employees have been vaccinated and 9.7% have received medical or religious accommodations, for an overall compliance rate of 99.7%, according to a press release from the City of Charleston.

“I greatly appreciate city employees’ overwhelming participation in this important effort,” Charleston Mayor John Tecklenburg said in a statement. “Keeping our community healthy and safe is a top priority and, as evidenced by employees’ widespread compliance with this policy, it’s clear that they share that goal. We look forward to continuing to serve the citizens of Charleston and are grateful to be able to do so in a safe, efficient work environment.”

Non-compliant city employees (1 full-time, 4 part-time) will be placed on one week of unpaid leave, after which any who are not yet compliant will be separated from service.

Latest COVID-19 data

South Carolina health officials reported 430 total cases of COVID-19 Nov. 23, with 331 confirmed. A total of 7 new deaths, all confirmed were also reported.

With 10,981 tests reported, 4.6% were confirmed positive.

Percentage of eligible S.C. residents with at least one vaccine: 57.5%
Percentage of eligible S.C. residents who have completed vaccination: 49.8%

Stay cool. Support City Paper.

City Paper has been bringing the best news, food, arts, music and event coverage to the Holy City since 1997. Support our continued efforts to highlight the best of Charleston with a one-time donation or become a member of the City Paper Club.