With the holiday season fast approaching, state food banks say more people than ever are seeking food assistance due to the record-setting government shutdown and cuts to government benefits.
“We are seeing many folks during this government shutdown who are seeking food assistance for the first time,” said Jill Hirsekorn of the Lowcountry Food Bank in a story originally published Thursday by the Charleston City Paper, a sister publication. “We are definitely seeing a significant rise in the number of neighbors who visit our Charleston and Myrtle Beach facilities to obtain an emergency bag of food to take home.”
Over the last year, the need for food assistance has risen by 30%, according to food bank CEO Nick Osborne. In 2024, the food bank supported more than 200,000 residents, distributing more than 46 million pounds of food, the equivalent of 33 million meals. In October, however, walk-ins at the food pantry tripled, and web page traffic more than doubled.
A big part of that was the loss of the federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), according to food bank clients.
“The shutdown has really impacted everybody in some kind of way or another — working or non-working,” said a woman who asked for anonymity. “It’s not just about one person. It’s people who are working poor or living paycheck to paycheck.”
She added, “Many of the people who are receiving benefits are disabled. If they pay their rent, they don’t have enough money left over for food. That’s who these benefits are for.”
With the federal shutdown now resolved, state officials say SNAP recipients who did not receive food assistance on Nov. 1 will see the aid deposited on Nov. 14.
State and local nonprofits are stepping in as well. The Coastal Community Foundation activated its Care Fund on Nov. 4 to help meet the increased demand. As of Nov. 12, it had raised more than $410,000, including about $71,000 from individual community donors.
“We are proud of the way the community has stepped up to support our region through The Care Fund,” Darrin Goss Sr., the foundation’s president and CEO, said.. “The fund is essential to counter the hardships caused by a loss of federal funding and a significantly increased need.”
On Nov. 12, the Duke Endowment announced a $1 million gift to Feeding the Carolinas, the association of food banks in North and South Carolina, to help meet rising demand following disruptions to federal assistance. The money will be divided among the 10 associated food banks based on the levels of food insecurity in the areas they serve. – Skyler Baldwi



