Who knew the bowling alley was so happening? A passel of scenesters decided to beat the midweek heat and seek refuge in the delicious air conditioning of Mt. Pleasant’s Twin River Lanes on Wednesday night. The overhead fluorescent lights went dim a little after 9 p.m., when the disco ball started stirring, and scores of colored laser lights illuminated the alley. The satellite tunes were spotty, so I’ll arrive with iPod in tow on my next visit, but a grand time was had by all.
Dark, ominous clouds did little to deter folks from attending the first annual Flip Flop Ball on Saturday night. Billed as a “casual fundraiser,” Hawaiian-shirt-and-sundress-clad guests filled the social hall at Gold Bug Island, where an enormous smoked pig drew people to the buffet line and the band Two 3 Ways entertained the crowd with plenty of sing-a-long party standards. Proceeds from the event will benefit WINGS for Kids, an award-winning youth after-school program.
Rest up! Rockville is on the horizon.
Have an upcoming event? E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Triple trouble: Mark Anowaty, Michael Washburn, and Kevin Inginbotton
2. Everett and Margaret Presson
3. Bobby Simmons, Markie Morant, and Brandon Barker
4. Trey Sedalik hopes he doesn’t strike out with the fair Gretta Krues
5 Guilds Bennett and Annie Wohlfeil rock their best bowling alley fashions
6. Randy Greenberg, Susan Staub, and Yvette Tramount brave the threatening storm in order to enjoy the cool breeze blowing down the Intracoastal Waterway on Saturday
7. Lauren Rider ties one on
8. Ben Decker, Flip Flop Ball organizer George Hill, and Bryan Mahanes
9. Brantlee deBrux demonstrates masterful ball handling skills
10. Susan Hill, Flip Flop Ball key supporter Lenny Blevins, and Ruthie Stockdell
Stay cool. Support City Paper.
City Paper has been bringing the best news, food, arts, music and event coverage to the Holy City since 1997. Support our continued efforts to highlight the best of Charleston with a one-time donation or become a member of the City Paper Club.