MORNING HEADLINES | Two people died over the weekend as a result of a pair of Charleston County shootings – one on King Street in Charleston and another near McClellanville.

On Sunday, Charleston police arrested Andre Ramon Nesbit, 35, of Charleston, in connection with a 2:30 a.m. Sunday  shooting on King Street that killed one and injured two uninvolved bystanders. 

Detectives said they determined a man opened fire after a brief argument outside of Gilroy’s Pizza Pub at 353 King St. before fleeing the scene. Responding officers rendered aid to the victims, assisted by law enforcement officers from Mount Pleasant, North Charleston, the College of Charleston and Charleston County.

The first shooting victim died at the hospital, according to police. The second has life-threatening injuries, and the third has non-life-threatening injuries. The victims’ names have not yet been released.

Police said Nesbit is charged with murder, two counts of assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature and possession of a firearm during a violent crime. 

Charleston Police Chief Chito Walker said gunfire is never an acceptable way to settle a disagreement. 

“At this point in the investigation, we know this was not random, and it was not caused by the victims,” he said in a press release. “This violence happened because of the suspect’s choices. One person is dead, two others were shot, and families are now carrying pain that no arrest can undo.”

Walker said police work would continue with prosecutors and supporting the victims and their families as the case moves forward.

Investigators are asking anyone who witnessed the incident or who may have information related to the shooting to call (843) 720-2422 and request an on-duty detective. Tips can also be submitted anonymously charleston-sc.gov/tips.

Saturday shooting

Meanwhile, detectives with the Charleston County Sheriff’s Office are investigating a Saturday shooting in which one person died in the Buck Hall community of McClellanville. 

Deputies responded just after 10 p.m. and discovered the victim with multiple apparent gunshot wounds. County EMS responded and pronounced the victim dead on the scene. Deputies later located and arrested a suspect.

The names of the suspect and victim have not yet been released, and the investigation is ongoing. 
Anyone with additional information about this incident is asked to contact the Charleston County Sheriff’s Office at (843) 202-1700 or Detective Cosimo Zappoli directly at (843) 529-6207.

Around town

Our online events calendar has scores of events around the Lowcountry every day, making it the most detailed calendar of what’s happening in the area. Just click on “Events” above at right under the black toolbar. You’ll be amazed at what you find. 

In recent headlines

CP OPINION, Brack: Imagine how Truman would deal with the S.C. legislature.  “The S.C. General Assembly’s final legislative week of the 2026 regular session will be remembered as a time when courage ultimately hid.”

CP NEWS: McMaster calls lawmakers back to redraw districts. In a striking reversal, South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster on Thursday ordered the state legislature into special session to consider a bill that would gerrymander 17-term Democratic Rep. James Clyburn out of his congressional district.  McMaster has denied rumors of a “corrupt bargain” being made to draw new lines to dilute the Black vote.

Charleston green lights another $3.7M for peninsula sea wall design. The city of Charleston will spend another $3.7 million designing the $1.3 billion Battery extension project that city officials and the Army Corps of Engineers say will help protect the peninsula from hurricanes and sunny-day flooding.

MURDAUGH: Overturning of conviction opens new chapter in epic Lowcountry tale. Last week’s unanimous S.C. Supreme Court ruling overturning disgraced lawyer Alex Murdaugh’s conviction for murdering his wife and son has left residents of a Hampton community reeling.  Prosecutors say the death penalty is “on the table” in the retrial.  But police errors and global attention could complicate things, some say. 

NextEra Energy in ‘advanced talks’ to buy Dominion. With demand for power exploding due to AI data centers, Florida-based energy giant NextEra is looking to buy Virginia’s Dominion Energy, which serves almost one million customers in S.C.

Support independent journalism

Keep the City Paper strong with a spring gift. This holiday season, please consider donating $25 — or even $100 — to support free, independent journalism at the Charleston City Paper. Every donation helps keep alive a voice of freedom. Your help is appreciated.


Help keep the City Paper free.
No paywalls.
No subscription cost.
Free delivery at 800 locations.

Help support independent journalism by donating today.

[empowerlocal_ad sponsoredarticles]